Onions, garlic and lemons: these are three foods that you need in your home because they are used in thousands of recipes.
These are also three remedies that are used a lot in natural medicine. In this article, we want to tell you why you should eat onion, garlic, and lemon on a daily basis.
The properties of onions
This edible bulb has been used for thousands of years in Asia and Europe. It is also heavily used in America. Among its remarkable benefits, we find the following:
It’s a great source of nutrients. Onions give us a good amount of water and essential amino acids. Also, they give us:
- Minerals (Sulfur, sodium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous)
- Vitamins (B complex, C, and E)
It improves your kidney function.
Thanks to its diuretic action, eating onions is good for patients with renal problems (stones, renal insufficiency, etc.). Also, it’s very advisable for people who have hypertension and liquid retention.
It’s an expectorant.
When you suffer from respiratory illnesses like pharyngitis or bronchitis, it helps you to get rid of mucous.
In addition, you should eat onion if you have a cold.
It lowers cholesterol.
Eating this bulb lowers the levels of fat in your blood and reduces your bad cholesterol (LDL).
Also, onion helps you to clean your arteries naturally.
It balances your blood sugar.
People who have diabetes can find onions to be a great help. This is because they have the ability to reduce your blood sugar levels.
The properties of garlic
Many dishes wouldn’t be the same without garlic. Its cloves give foods its characteristic flavor. In addition, they also have dozens of benefits.
Among them, the ones that stand out are:
- Better circulation: This is thanks to a compound called allicin. It helps prevent the formation of blood clots and increases your blood flow.
- Lower blood pressure: Together with circulatory benefits, we should also mention that this bulb has the ability to balance your blood pressure. Because of this, it’s recommended for those who suffer from hypertension.
- Lower cholesterol: Since this has such a large impact on your blood, we can’t forget this fantastic property. Garlic reduces your cholesterol and the levels of lipids accumulated in your arteries.
- It strengthens your immune system: The compounds in garlic improve your natural defenses. Because of this, eating garlic on a regular basis reduces the number of infectious illnesses you get. This includes illnesses like colds, the flu, and tonsillitis.
- It’s an anti-inflammatory: If all of the other benefits weren’t enough, we can add the fact that it reduces swelling to its natural benefits. For example, it can be used for joint problems (arthrosis or arthritis) and prostate inflammation in men.
The properties of lemons
This citrus fruit is well known for its yellow color and its acidic flavor. It’s so well known for these that it’s used in many things, ranging from candies to salads. You can even make teas that have curative and preventative properties.
Here are some of the many benefits of this fruit:
- It strengthens your immune system: Just like with garlic, lemon strengthens your immune system. This keeps you from getting viral illnesses. For example, if you drink half a cup of lemon juice, your body will get 53 mg of vitamin C. This vitamin naturally stimulates your body’s defenses.
- It detoxifies your body: Many of the diseases we suffer from are really caused by an accumulation of impurities and waste.
- Lemon also has the ability to naturally purify your liver and your gall bladder. This means it encourages the production of bile and reduces liver fat.
- It cleanses your blood: During the process of cleaning your liver, this citrus also helps by cleaning your blood. This includes eliminating lipids and other elements that are toxic to your health.
- It protects you from free radicals: Since it’s rich in antioxidants, it’s great for reducing the negative effects of free radicals. After all, these cause a lot of problems and illnesses. Lemon protects cells from free radical attacks.
Eating onions, garlic, and lemons
Knowing the properties of each one separately, we can give ourselves an idea of their abilities together. When we put them together, these three foods become an incredibly powerful natural remedy.
This is because of the concentration of minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients they have. Onion, garlic, and lemon are unbeatable. They are our best defense if we want to stay perfectly healthy.
Many times, they come together in our favorite dishes. However, we can enjoy their benefits even more by making a syrup with them.
This home remedy prevents and fights the normal winter illnesses (colds and the flu).
Also, it can be used for increasing your the health of your blood, reducing both pain and inflammation, and eliminating toxins in your body.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion (preferably a red onion)
- 1 slice of ginger root (about an inch)
- 3 lemons
- 1/2 a cup of pure honey
- Peel the garlic, chop it and grind it in a pestle and mortar until you get a thick paste.
- Peel the onion and grate it onto the garlic.
- Grate the ginger, then add it.
- Juice the lemons and add the juice and honey to the mixture.
- Cover it and let it sit all night (about 8 hours).
- After 8 hours, strain it into a glass container with a lid.
- You can keep the syrup in the refrigerator for a month.
How to take it:
To get the results you want, you need to take a tablespoon once per day (for prevention). Or, to treat a viral infection, take a tablespoon with each of your main meals (3 times per day).