After your dog has used her dog bed for awhile, it will need to be cleaned. Dogs may dirty their bed with their paws, drool on it, and shed their hair on the bed. Cleaning the bed will get rid of the dirt and freshen the bed up so that it smells good again. Every dog bed is different, so note what yours is made from.
Here are a few steps to make sure you’re getting your pet’s bed as clean as you can:
- Check to see what water temperature the bed should be washed at, as not all can be washed in hot water, depending on the type of material.
- Remove any outer shell that may be casing the foam or stuffing. Place in the washer by itself and set to “small” load on gentle.
- Use a mild detergent, such as Dreft. Your pets skin can irritate easily, too, sometimes more so! Do not use bleach.
- Place outside in the sun to dry, if possible. This will help kill any bacteria that may be leftover.
If you choose to hand wash the pet bed, use a mild soap or baby shampoo and a washcloth under hot water. Again, set outside in the sun to dry if possible.
Another thing you can do is make your own DIY pet odor-eliminating air freshener with essential oils! I love this recipe because it doesn’t have any harmful chemicals and is completely natural!
- 1 Cup Distilled Water
- Essential Oils
- 2 teaspoons Rubbing Alcohol
- Spray Bottle
- Pour distilled water into an empty (and clean) spray bottle
- Add 10 drops of essential oil of choice and the rubbing alcohol
- Shake well and spray directly on the pet bed (or other fabric-covered surface)